CPA CRANE HIRE
At BJW Cranes we work in accordance with the terms and conditions of the CPA (Construction Plant Hire Association) and in agreement with BS7121 (“The Safe Use of Cranes”) standards when we are providing CPA Crane Hire to businesses across the country.
As part of the conditions of the CPA Model for the Crane Hire, it is the responsibility of the customer to ensure the welfare of the crane operator as well as to ensure the safe operation of the crane itself.
If you are looking for CPA Hire and are the customer/hirer then your responsibilities are follows:
- All work you perform with your CPA Crane Hire must be done so in accordance with BS 7121 and LOLER regulations.
- Have a capable ‘Appointed Person’* who has the experience, knowledge and understanding of each and every aspect of CPA operations and crane hire lifting solutions.
- Provide a fully-qualified ‘Slinger/Signaller’* for the entirety of the operation.
- Outline a plan for the lift as well as operating a safe work system.
- Make sure all Method Statements and Risk Assessments are provided. (RAMS)
- Ensure the CPA Hire is to a suitable capacity and type.
- Check certification for the crane is supplied by the crane hire company.
Here at BJW Cranes we have a duty to:
- Provide a crane from within our fleet that is properly certificated, tested and maintained.
- Provide a competent* operative.
Additionally, the party must also evaluate and organise full insurance cover for the lifting operation. The policy must be inclusive of loss or damage to lifted loads as well as loss or damage to the crane itself and lost revenue.
Under standard CPA Hire terms and conditions, the customer must also provide their own insurance cover for the following:
- Loss or damage to our CPA Hire whilst on site.
- Loss or damage to the goods lifted.
- Ongoing hire charges, which would occur whilst the crane is ‘off the road’ for repairs following any damage.
- Public liability, injury to operator, injury to third parties inclusive of damage to their property.
*as defined by CPA Model Conditions for the Hiring of Plant
The customer must:
- Provide a capable and qualified ‘Appointed Person’ who, when it comes to all aspects of the lifting operation, has complete knowledge, experience and understanding of the task at hand.
- Provide a certified and competent Slinger/Signaller as well as a Crane Supervisor.
- Plan each aspect of the lift and operate a safe work system.
- Ensure Method Statements and Risk Assessments are supplied and that the crane which has been hired is of a suitable type and capacity.
- Check the credentials of the crane hire company along with the certification they have supplied.
- Work in accordance with BS 7121 and LOLER Regulations.
Under standard CPA terms, the customer must additionally provide the following insurance cover:
- Damage to or loss of our CPA Crane Hire whilst on site.
- Damage to or loss of the goods being lifted.
- Continuing hire charges which would occur whilst the plant is ‘off the road’ following damage.
- Public liability, injury to the operator, injury to third parties inclusive of damage to their property.
The crane owner has a duty to:
- Provide a crane that is properly maintained, tested and certificated.
- Provide a qualified and competent Crane Operator.
CPA Contract Lift
The crane owner must provide the following:
- Provide a competent and qualified Appointed Person who has the required level of understanding, knowledge and experience when it comes to every aspect of the lifting operation.
- Provide a certified and experienced Slinger/Signaller.
- Provide a qualified and capable Crane Operator and Crane Supervisor.
- Correctly plan and organise the lift and operate a safe system of work.
- Provide all Method Statements and Risk Assessments.
- Guarantee that the crane provided is of an appropriate capacity and type.
- Provide a crane that is correctly maintained, tested and certificated.
- Carry out all work in compliance with BS 7121 and LOLER Regulations.
In addition, the following insurance cover will be provided:
- Loss of, or damage to BTC plant or to other property caused solely by BTC negligence.
- A maximum liability of £25,000 in respect of the value of goods lifted. (Additional goods lifted cover is available and can be arranged as an extra). Please discuss this with a BTC depot manager or email firstname.lastname@example.org details.
- A maximum liability of £2,000,000 in respect of loss or damage to other property and injury to other persons.
*as defined by CPA Model Conditions for the Hiring of Plant.
The customer has a duty to:
- Provide accurate information relating to both the items to be lifted and for the ground conditions.